Adding dashboard objects to your Dashboard
You can add dashboard objects to your dashboard in one of two ways, by dragging the required object from the Toolkit docking window or by selecting the required object from the Add button of the Dashboard Objects group of the Edit Dashboard tab on the ribbon. Both these methods are described in more details below.
Adding dashboard objects from the toolkit
Using the toolkit to drag a new object on to the dashboard has the advantage of allowing you to decide where the new object is placed in the tab, relative to the other objects already present. To add an object by dragging it from the toolkit, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the left mouse button over the appropriate object in the Toolkit docking window.
- Move the mouse until it is over the guide icon that represents the location you want to place the new object (the guide icons are explained in more detail below).
- Release the left mouse button.
- Define the details of the dashboard object in the Dashboard Object Definition dialog box (explained in more details below).
When you are dragging a new dashboard object on to the chart, the mouse cursor will change to the chart dragging cursor ( ). As you drag the mouse over the tab, two types of guide icon will appear.
Guide icons around the edge of the tab allow you to place the new dashboard object against the left, top, right or bottom edge of the tab.
When you drag the mouse over an existing object in the dashboard, guide icons appear that allow you to drop the new object to the left, top, right, bottom of the existing object, or stacked on top of the existing object. If objects are stacked, tabs will appear to allow the user to display each object.
Adding dashboard objects from the ribbon
Using the Add button of the Dashboard Objects group of the Edit Dashboard tab on the ribbon to add objects to the dashboard has the advantage of allowing you to select the object type from an ordered list of objects. To use the ribbon to add a dashboard object to the dashboard, follow these steps:
- Press the Add button in the Dashboard Objects group in the Edit Dashboard tab in the ribbon.
- Select the type of object you wish to add to your dashboard from the list.
- Define the details of the dashboard object in the Dashboard Object Definition dialog box.